Wednesday, January 24, 2007

There's an All-Star Game?


BOULDER, Colorado -- I was somewhat surprised to see that the NHL All-Star Game is going on right now in Dallas. I generally consider myself pretty up to date with most events in the North American sports world, but I have heard hardly a whisper about this year's extravaganza.

Part of the reason for this is that I don't have cable. Therefore, the only NHL games I have watched this year have either been in person, in bars, or at my parents' house. But the All-Star Game is also in the middle of the week, and it, like everything else NHL-related this year, is on the Versus (formerly OLN) network rather than on a major broadcaster.

If I wanted to, I could turn this blog over to hourly postings railing against Gary Bettman, the worst commissioner in sports. But that wouldn't be fun for anybody. The charges I level against Bettman should be self-evident to any hockey fan worth their salt - his tenure, characterized by relentless expansion into unsustainable markets and a precipitous decline in the league's market share, has led to two major work stoppages and the relocation of four franchises (two of which - Raleigh and Phoenix - have been abysmal markets).

Bang up job on the All-Star Game. I can't even watch it, nor would I want to.

No comments: